D3 Questions

Hi. I just got a visit from people from Manny Diaz's headquarters.
I was wondering: what you think about the sunshine policy legislation? Also, how do you feel about the 1/2 cent sales tax devoted to bringing BART to where-I-live? How do you feel about recycling in where-I-live?

Hi Robert,

I totally support the implementation of sunshine policies. An open government was one of the driving forces that convinced me to run. I think that the open line of communication needs to go beyond just the dissemination of information that sunshine laws provide. As your D3 councilmember, I will dedicate one of my staffers to solely act as a communication liason between the residents and City Hall. You WILL be able to call the D3 office at any time with any thoughts and concerns and not only talk to myself or this staff person but expect a timely answer and/or plan of action on issues of your concern.

Sunshine laws guarantee the dissemination of information. It's one thing to be able to obtain the info on what's going on in City Hall but what sunshine laws do not guarantee is that your voice/concern is taken with any consideration. Again I will dedicate a staffer to be solely involved in this process. This job/position is an absolute in order for sunshine laws to have any real effect.

Yes, I do support the 1/2 cent sales tax. In order for us to stay competitive in this global economy we must position ourselves to be able to unify the entire bay area. Without Bart, light rail and muni we put ourselves at a huge dissadvantage, eventually losing our position of being the number one region for nano, bio and high tech. As we start to move away from using our cars for everything (in the next 20 years) the role of mass transportation becomes more crucial. Let's not get caught with our pants down.
Let's vote in favor of the 1/2 cent sales tax.

As you know we were the first major city in the US to implement a recycling program. We can never recycle enough and as your next councilmember I will insure and lead continued recycling efforts in order to stop the destruction of our natural resources and make our city more efficient. Sorry if I sound like a "wacko environmentalist" but I'm a real proponent of open space and preservation.

Thanks for the questions. Feel free to continue firing away!

Joel