U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein responding to your message

June 15, 2006

Mr. Robert

where-I-live

Dear Mr.:

	Thank you for writing to me about the "Comprehensive
Immigration Reform Act" proposed by Senator Specter, approved by the
Senate Judiciary Committee and now pending on the Senate Floor. I
welcome the opportunity to respond.

	I believe that any immigration reform legislation has to take into
consideration the reality of immigration to the United States today. The
crisis is grave. Our borders are a sieve, detention facilities are
insufficient for the numbers of people captured trying to enter the
country, the Border Patrol is understaffed, and technology for
surveillance and other purposes is inadequate for the job.

       We need to build a border infrastructure that is modern and
effective -- that uses new surveillance technology, that employs adequate
manpower, and that includes a fence when feasible. But we also need to
find an orderly way to allow those people who are already here, who are
embedded in our communities and our workforce, to be able to become
full members of our society. This bill does that in a realistic and humane
way.  Please find enclosed a copy of my recent speech on the Senate
floor which explains in detail my support for comprehensive immigration
reform.

	Again, thank you for writing.  I appreciate hearing your views on
this difficult subject, and I hope that you will continue to write to me on
issues of importance to you.  Best regards.

			Sincerely yours,

			Dianne Feinstein
			United States Senator

http://feinstein.senate.gov

Further information about my position on issues of concern to Ca and
the Nation are available at my website
http://feinstein.senate.gov.  You can also receive electronic e-mail updates by
subscribing to my e-mail list at
http://feinstein.senate.gov/issue.html.