U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein responding to your message

July 13, 2006

Mr. Robert

where-I-live

Dear Mr.:

     Thank you for your letter expressing your concern
with the outsourcing of U.S. jobs overseas.  I appreciate
hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to
respond as this issue is of particular importance to me.

	I have received many heartfelt letters from
Cans who have either lost their jobs when their
company moved jobs overseas, or know people who
have.  It is very troubling to me that the downsizing of
companies and the outsourcing of jobs appears to be
becoming a trend not only in Ca, but nationwide.
The striking loss of good jobs in Ca certainly
indicates that both the downsizing of companies and the
outsourcing of jobs are playing an increasingly prevalent
role in our economy.

     As such, I believe that instead of excusing the loss
of high paying jobs as inevitable, we should be taking
reasonable and sensible measures to stop encouraging
U.S. companies to move their employees overseas.  For
example, our tax code frequently rewards companies for
moving jobs offshore by allowing the companies to bring
foreign earned profits back into the U.S. at a rate well
below what you or I pay on our income taxes.

     We also need to invest in our future.  We must
continue to fund and strengthen our domestic education
system, which has made Americans the most productive
and skilled workforce in the world.   Furthermore, we
must invest in appropriate safety nets for those who are
temporarily displaced by shifts in domestic industry.
Such safety nets would include the extension of
temporary unemployment benefits, more affordable
healthcare for those between jobs, and more robust job
training and placement services for people displaced by
outsourcing.

     I am very troubled by the loss of American jobs
and will continue to investigate the roots of this problem
to arrive at an appropriate and effective solution.  Please
know that I will continue to work hard to keep good jobs
in the U.S. and to keep Americans employed.

			Sincerely yours,

			Dianne Feinstein
			United States Senator

Why do you want this page removed?