U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein responding to your message

January 12, 2006

Mr. Robert

where-I-live

Dear Mr.:

      Thank you for your letter regarding the USA Patriot Act.  I
appreciate your thoughts on this statute and on continuing efforts
to renew its 16 provisions before they sunset on February 3, 2006.
I welcome the opportunity to respond.

      The bulk of the USA Patriot Act, more than 250 sections,
remains in force.  Only sixteen sections, the most controversial, are
subject to a "sunset clause," meaning that they were scheduled to
expire on December 31, 2005.  These provisions were designed to
allow Congress to review the effect and use of the statue.  That
review has been completed and late last year we were close to
reaching agreement on language which would extend and improve
the USA Patriot Act to accommodate civil liberty concerns while
maintaining the ability to effectively fight terrorism.
 Unfortunately, the session ended before agreement could be
reached, and the sunset time was extended until February 3, 2006.

      I firmly believe that the USA Patriot Act has been a
valuable tool in our effort to combat terror, and I am pleased a
compromise was reached to provide Congress with more time to
take another look at the controversial sections and make any
changes that appear to be necessary.  It is extremely important that
every effort be made to reach a consensus agreement that avoids a
partisan standoff which diminishes our effectiveness to combat
terrorism.  I remain committed to working to resolving the
remaining issues, and extending the USA-Patriot Act as soon as
possible.

      Again, thank you for writing.  Please know that I certainly
understand your thoughts on this topic, and will keep them in mind
as I closely monitor the progression of this legislation.  I have also
enclosed with this letter a copy of a recent statement I delivered on
the Senate floor concerning efforts to reach a compromise on USA
Patriot Act renewal so that you may further understand my
position.  Should you have any further comments or questions,
please do not hesitate to contact my Washington, D.C. office at
(202) 224-3841.

Statement of Senator Dianne Feinstein
"In Advance of a Vote on Cloture on the USA-PATRIOT
Reauthorization
And Improvement Act Conference Report"
December 15, 2005

Mrs. FEINSTEIN. Mr. President, I thank the ranking member very
much.  I would like to make a brief statement.  I am not sure I can
do it in 5 minutes.  I may have to ask unanimous consent for a little
additional time.

Today the Senate is taking up the conference report to accompany
the PATRIOT Act.  I am the original Democratic cosponsor of the
unanimously passed Senate bill, as well as cosponsor of the
Combat Meth Epidemic Act and the Port Security Crimes Act,
both of which are incorporated in the conference report.  Thus, it is
only after careful consideration that I have determined to vote
against cloture tomorrow, and I would like to take a moment to
explain why.

I fear that it is going to be a very divisive and partisan vote
tomorrow.  The USA PATRIOT Act has been a valuable tool in
our effort to combat terror, but it has also become a divisive point
of contention between Democrats and Republicans and, as a result,
doesn't have the broad support of the American people.  Thus, it is
extremely important that every effort be made to reach an
accommodation before debate becomes contentious and even more
partisan.

Outside the beltway, the USA PATRIOT Act has come to be
terribly misunderstood.  Many believe it is related to Guantanamo
Bay and the detention of prisoners.  Others believe it authorizes
torture or the secret arrest of Americans.  It does none of these
things.

At the same time, some have irresponsibly sought to characterize
anyone who seeks to improve or criticize the law as somehow
playing into the hands of the terrorists.  They have implied that the
USA PATRIOT Act will expire in its entirety on December 31,
and we will be left with no defense against terrorist acts.  This, too,
is untrue.

What is true is that when it comes to national security, it is so
important to build consensus.  Our efforts to combat terror in
general, and the authorities in the PATRIOT Act specifically, are
diminished in effectiveness if they are not seen by most Americans
as the product of bipartisan effort in Washington.

I believe our Nation's safety requires this body to reach
compromise on this bill.

That is why, when Senator Specter asked me to join him in
introducing the Senate bill, I agreed.  I want to say something.
Senator Specter has been a wonderful chair of the Senate Judiciary
Committee.  He listens, he is open, he is smart, he is legally
pristine, and he has been a fine leader for the committee.

I believed  Senator Specter, working with Senator Leahy and the
members of the Judiciary Committee, would be able to build
consensus, to reach compromise, and deliver legislation that the
American people could be confident represented bipartisan
agreement, not politics.

My confidence in Senators Specter and Leahy and my colleagues
on the committee was well placed.  In July, the committee
unanimously reported the bill favorably, and shortly thereafter the
Senate, again unanimously, passed the bill.

Having a USA PATRIOT Act reauthorization bill, supported by
Senators Cornyn and Schumer, Kyl and Feingold, Hatch, Kennedy,
and every single Member of this body gave me great comfort, and
I believe was an important step toward healing the divisive
partisanship that has come to be associated with the bill.

Unfortunately, that spirit seems to have ended.  The conference
report process, instead of bringing unity, appears to have had the
opposite result: dividing my colleagues by failing to adequately
take into account differing views on elements of the bill.  The
simple result is that in the next day we are likely to divide into two
camps.

In the end, of course, we will extend the PATRIOT Act's expiring
provisions in some form because despite the rhetoric, nobody
doubts that the provisions will be extended.  What is at issue is
whether and to what extent modifications are made.

What will be lost is the much needed sense that the PATRIOT Act
represents a broad consensus.  That may be more important than
the specific details of provisions and issues.  I believe it is.  The
bottom line is that having a consensus bill is of paramount
importance.
Yesterday, I urged Majority Leader Frist to work as hard as he can
to bring people back to the table before the vote.  The day before, I
urged Attorney General Gonzales to work with Senators Leahy and
Specter toward the same end.  I have said the same thing to
Senators Specter and Leahy personally, and today I renew this
request.

Press reports today quote insiders saying that efforts to reach
compromise have been abandoned.  Some seem to believe that a
filibuster fight would be an opportunity to force Democrats into
bad votes, thus securing partisan advantage in upcoming elections.

Others seem to believe that the American people can be tricked
into thinking that Members such as Senators Craig, Sununu,
Murkowski, Hagel, Obama, Durbin, Feingold, Salazar, and Kerry,
all of whom signed a moving letter yesterday explaining why they
would vote against cloture, are somehow helping terrorists.  Still
others, counting the votes, think the opportunity to embarrass the
administration is too good to miss.

I reject these positions.  Instead, I ask respectfully that we get back
to work.

I strongly urge my colleagues to carefully read the letter sent by
this group of Senators.  While I do not agree with every one of
their points, the key issues they raise have merit and should be
addressed.

The most important of the issues they raise involve section 215 --
the so-called library provision -- and provisions governing judicial
review, particularly of national security letters.  I believe on these
two issues, as well as some of the others, continued good-faith
negotiation will result in solving the problems in a way that will be
acceptable to a vast majority of this body and will not in any way
diminish the ability of our law enforcement and intelligence
organizations to do their job.

Congress has a long and honorable tradition of putting aside party
politics when it comes to national security.  We were able to do
that in the Senate with this bill.  So it is critical that this approach
be carried forward to the end.

I believe the unanimously passed Senate bill represents that
compromise.  And while I understand that some accommodations
must be made to the House, these cannot be so great as to destroy
the consensus in the Senate that we have built.

I know that Senator Specter and Senator Leahy have worked long
and hard.  I also know that Senator Leahy made some
compromises to vote for the Senate bill that passed this body
unanimously.  I asked Senator Specter and Senator Leahy to please
try once again to achieve the compromise that we had when the
Senate bill passed this body unanimously.

I believe national security deserves no less, and I believe the
distinguished leadership of the Judiciary Committee, Senator
Specter and Senator Leahy, can achieve this if given the
opportunity and if the leadership puts its clout behind bringing the
House on board as well.

Absent that, I will vote for the Sununu legislation to provide an
element of time.  I also ask that the meth bill, as well as the port
security bill, be added to his legislation.  I thank the ranking
member and the chairman and I yield the floor.

			Sincerely yours,

			Dianne Feinstein
			United States Senator

http://feinstein.senate.gov

Further information about my position on issues of concern to Ca and
the
Nation are available at my website http://feinstein.senate.gov.  You can also
receive electronic e-mail updates by subscribing to my e-mail list at
http://feinstein.senate.gov/issue.html.

Why do you want this page removed?