Re: WikiLens stuff

On 12 Jan 2006 09:16:19 -0800, robert b <http://dummy.us.eu.org/robert> wrote:

> Re: subcategories.  That sounds like a fine plan.  Now, it seems to me,
> there's a race to "get my name in first" re: disambiguation.  I guess this
> policy favors early adopters.

Good point, heh.

> Re: implementation schedule.  I was thinking about this last night.  I
> wish *I* had more time to help you.  I know the PhpWiki code (which is
> sort of ugly, mostly due to limitations with the PHP language itself) and
> I see that you make your code available.  (I'd also have to set up MySQL,
> which I assume that you're using.  On my home machine, I use libdb4
> ( DB) which is quite unstable.)  I guess the main issue is time,
> of course -- if too many people add too many top-level categories, it'll
> be harder to migrate later.

Any help would of course be appreciated. If you don't have time, I
understand. I'm short on it myself. If you want to take a look, tell
me first, and I'll refresh the tarball. It may not be the latest.

Unfortunately, we use a local CVS, meaning you can't see the changes
I've been working on. Basically, I've been doing some small things--
fixing renaming a page, laying some groundwork for future
functionality (filter out rated items).

I know what you mean about ugly. I really dislike PHP. I actually have
started a skunkworks project to possibly replace the WikiLens
functionality using JSPWiki. Don't know how you feel about Java. I
find it heavyweight but solid (static typing => less likely to
introduce bugs). Not sure that'll happen, but even if it does it's a
*long* way out, many months at least.

We have an NSF grant at my research lab for a WikiLens-like thing to
support a bioethics community, tho, so we will be working on JSPWiki.
I just don't know if it will ultimately replace wikilens.org.

> Re: "/" hierarchy.  Yeah.  I'm going back to the non-"/" way, but now
> there are inconsistencies in the naming scheme.  Oh, well.

Yeah. My plan there (again eventually) is to grant more people the
ability to rename. I would have to write some code to allow that
functionality to be granted to people. I'd grant it to you for sure if
you wanted, since you seem to have taken an interest. Then we all
could make it consistent.

Dan

Why do you want this page removed?