Re: Macs & gcc

 > From: "K. gnarup" <http://www.gmail.com/~kgnarup>
 > Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 14:13:27 -0700
 >
 > On 20 Apr 2006 13:09:21 -0700, Robert <http://dummy.us.eu.org/robert> wrote:
 > > I actually don't.  But, "fink" does and it works fine.  XCode 2.2 seems to
 > > be installed.  Is that what you're using?
 >
 > I am using 2.1.  The download for 2.2 is too big.   I am using gcc 3.3 now.
 >
 > I've been trying to install ruby+rails since this morning, still not done.
 > This is ridiculous.

...especially on Mac!  It was almost made for Mac!

This is the real problem with OSX 10.4 -- there is no good package system.
The DMGs are nice, but there doesn't seem to be a dependency system.  fink
is really great, but it works outside the main OSX framework so its
applications are a bit cumbersome to use.  There's probably a pkgsrc
package for MacOS.  That would be a sufficient compromise.

Ya know, maybe while I was talking with the ex-director of OSX
development, I should have brought this up.  After all, I obviously had
nothing to lose :-).

Why do you want this page removed?